Have a Windows app and need to share it with remote users?
With VirtualUI + Vultr, you can host your Windows application on a local Windows VPS server anywhere in the world. Vultr (vultr.com) offers local servers in almost every region, so you can find one near you to guarantee the best performance.
In this guide, we’ll be installing Thinfinity VirtualUI on a Vultr Windows Server 2016 cloud. You’ll find the steps to do so below. If you are new to VirtualUI, we recommend you start here to learn more about how we help you to web-enable your Windows-based software. Then you may come back to get familiar with this particular cloud setup.
Host your Windows application on a server, run it from any browser
First, you would need to set up a Vultr VM where you’ll be able to set up VirtualUI.
After setting up a Vultr account, go to my.vultr.com/deploy where you’ll be able to select the following:
1. Select the type of server you wish to deploy:
2. Choose the location of the server:
3. You’ll be prompted to choose a Server Type, for our purposes that would mean choosing an Operating System:
4. Now you would need to choose the Server Size:
5. You can set up a Startup Script and SSH Keys if you wish, and finally, you would need to input a Server Hostname and Label to finish setting up the VM:
6. Once the setup of your Vultr VM is complete, press Deploy.
Now that a Vultr VM was successfully created, we can move on to installing Thinfinity Remote Desktop Server:
1. After setting up a Vultr server, select it and then click the “View Console” button, like so:
2. Once on the server, download Thinfinity VirtualUI:
3. Run the VirtualUI setup, in this case, we’re choosing to install Standard Mode:
4. Activate your VirtualUI license:
5. Now open VirtualUI Server Manager, go to the “Applications” tab and click on “Add”:
6. Click “Open” and browse the application that has the VirtualUI start method already coded in, then click OK and Apply:
7. Enter a browser and type the address to the VirtualUI index page (ex: http://localhost:6580). Then click on the newly added app.
And that’s it. You are now able to use your published applications on the web.